Acting on climate change before it is too late and building a truly renewable energy future for our nation and our planet are goals that every American has a stake in.
A liveable planet, clean air, safe water, cleaning up environmental hazards, and protecting America's magnificent coastlines, rivers, forest, and wilderness places are at the core of my environmental policy.
I began to push for renewal energy over three decades ago while serving in the Missouri State legislature and I continue that commitment in Congress.
I am very pleased to cosponsor H.Res. 109 the Green New Deal, introduced by Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D) New York.
Our resolution calls for the creatation of a Green New Deal with the ambitious goals of:
-Acheiving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions within the next ten years, and:
- establishing millions of high-wage jobs and ensuring economic security for all;
- investing in infrastructure and industry;
- securing clean air and water, climate and community resiliency, healthy food, access to nature, and a sustainable environment for all; and
- promoting justice and equality.
Our resolution calls for accomplishment of these goals through a 10-year national mobilization effort. The resolution also enumerates the goals and projects of the mobilization effort, including
- building smart power grids (i.e., power grids that enable customers to reduce their power use during peak demand periods);
- upgrading all existing buildings and constructing new buildings to achieve maximum energy and water efficiency;
- removing greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation and agricultural sectors;
- cleaning up existing hazardous waste and abandoned sites;
- ensuring businesspersons are free from unfair competition; and
- providing higher education, high-quality health care, and affordable, safe, and adequate housing to all.
As a Member of the House Natural Resources Committee, I am also pleased to cosponsor:
- H.R.3195 — The Land and Water Conservation Fund Permanent Funding Act.
- . H.R.1373 — The Grand Canyon Centennial Protection Act, introduced by my great friend, Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rep. Grijalva, Raul M. [D-AZ-3] which would protect over 1 million acres of federal lands in Arizona, including the Grand Canyon, from mining and other environmentally destructive activites.
- H.R.3824 — The Cahokia Mounds Mississippian Culture National Historical Park Act, which would designate the magnificent Cahokia Mounds UNESCO World Heritage Site in Metro East as a unit of the National Park Service.
More on Environment
STATEMENT BY CONGRESSMAN WM. LACY CLAY (D) MISSOURI
OPPOSING UNITED STATES -MEXICO-CANADA TRADE AGREEMENT
TO DEFEND AMERICAN WORKERS
NAFTA 2.0 Fails to Protect Skilled Manufacturing Jobs
NOTE: The following, in its entirety, is a
First-person statement by
Congressman Wm. Lacy Clay (D) Missouri
Note: The following, in its entirety, is a first-person statement by
Congressman Wm. Lacy Clay (D) Missouri.
NOTE: The following, in its entirety, is a first-person statement by Congressman Wm. Lacy Clay (D) Missouri
WASHINGTON, DC – “As the first Member of Congress to call for the removal of nuclear waste from West Lake landfill, today’s announcement by the EPA of a cleanup is a huge victory for our long-suffering community and it is a major step towards long-delayed environmental justice.